Saturday, May 4, 2019

Yes Lord, you know that I love you

Next Saturday, Bishop Rhoades will be here to celebrate confirmation for our young men and women from the Cathedral.  These young people have been preparing over the course of the year.  They have been learning about the gifts of the Holy Spirit. I hope they are all ready when the bishop starts to ask them questions next week.  But, one thing they had to do this year is to pick a confirmation saint.  We have a few St. Francis’s, a St. Norbert, etc.  I really hope that these young people will look up to these saints and rely on them during the course of their lives.
For me, I chose St. Peter when I was confirmed.  So, I have always felt a certain kind of closeness to him.  Now, I would like to say that I chose St. Peter because I liked how he preached the gospel, or the way that he gave his life in service to Christ.  But, I was a teenager after all.  I chose St. Peter because I thought he must be the most awesome Saint around.  I mean: he was the first pope, he has the biggest Church in the world named after him.  I wasn’t interested in any ole saint.  I wanted the best of the best.  So, that’s why I picked St. Peter.  I have to admit that I didn’t really take into consideration all the things that St. Peter did in the gospel.  I didn’t think about the time that St. Peter denied Jesus 3 times. I didn’t think about the time he told Jesus that he shouldn’t offer up his life and Jesus called him satan.  I didn’t think about the time that he was taking the side of the people who said that Gentiles had to be circumcised and St. Paul argued with him.  In other words, I never really grappled with the fact that St. Peter is a person who has his own flaws and imperfections.  I was just thinking about the glorious vision of the great first pope holding the keys to the kingdom of heaven.
Ok, so I didn’t pick St. Peter for a very good reason.  But, I’m so very glad that I have St. Peter for my confirmation patron saint.  The longer I reflect on the gospel, the more I see St. Peter is a truly inspirational person for all of us who are followers of Jesus.  Sure, he is inspirational because of his great job of preaching the faith.  Look at the first reading.  He boldly stood up to the high priest: we must obey God and not you.  He was courageous.  I certainly hope and pray that I can keep growing in my Christian courage to become more like Peter.  But, he is also inspirational precisely because he has a past that is not so great.
On the night before Jesus died, he gathered with his apostles for the Last Supper.  He told them that he would be betrayed.  They all said that they would never do that to him.  Peter even said: if I should have to die with you, I will never deny you. Then what happens, not even a few hours later, Peter denies Jesus 3 times.  But, you know what?  Peter repents, returns, renews his commitment.  I think this is what today’s gospel is all about.  Jesus gives Peter this amazing opportunity.  He knows that Peter denied him three times, so he asks him three times: do you love me?  Peter responds: yes Lord, you know that I love you.  Sure, Peter sinned and denied Jesus.  But Jesus offers him mercy and an opportunity for a new beginning. 
This is one of the reasons that I find the story of St. Peter so inspirational.  It is a great reminder that Jesus will give us the same opportunity.  You and I are sinners.  No denying that.  But, if we turn back to the Lord like St. Peter, Jesus will give us the same opportunity to begin again.  Peter has been my patron since confirmation, but he is a model for all disciples precisely because he is so real.  I would encourage each of you to spend some time praying with this gospel this week. Put yourself in St. Peter’s shoes. Acknowledge that you have betrayed the Lord by your sins.  But, then, listen as Jesus gives you a chance at a new beginning: do you love me?  Yes Lord, you know that I love you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Called to be Holy

Message in a Minute for Jan 19: I once heard a quote from Michelangelo about his famous statue,  David .  Someone asked him how he made s...