Saturday, March 30, 2019

Message of Mercy

4thSunday of Lent Year C Prodigal Son:
One of the best parts of my job is the ministry of reading the gospel at Mass.  I get the true privilege and honor of reading and proclaiming the very words of Christ. It’s truly remarkable.  Today, is one of those days where I don’t feel worthy to proclaim such amazing words.  This parable is great.  We could read it the rest of our lives and find something new, something exciting about it.  I’ve read this parable so many times in my life, but each time I hear something new. So, reading or hearing this parable is sort of like a check-up on our life of faith.  
Sometimes we feel like the prodigal son.  We feel lost and sinful, in need of God’s mercy.  Well there is good news for us in this parable. Sometimes we think that we have been working hard in our lives and we can become frustrated at the foibles of others. Well, then today’s gospel is a challenge.  Don’t be like the older son.  Or, sometimes we are being called to emulate the Father’s compassion.  Is there someone you have been hesitant to forgive? Why not rush out there and forgive like the Father?  
This parable shows us the message of mercy.  But, it shows the message from so many different angles. Need mercy, got that covered.  Jealous and frustrated, covered.  Need to be merciful, got it.  Let the parable speak to you this week.
But, I wanted to share with you what I heard when I prayed with this parable this week.  I heard all the amazing details about the rich banquet.  Now maybe that’s because I’m always fixated on food.  Ok, one of my struggles.  But, listen again to the details of the celebration.  The son is dressed in the finest robes, sandals, a ring on his finger, they slaughter the fattened calf, then there is music and dancing. Sounds like a great party.  What was the impetus for that party?  The son returning and the Father granting mercy. Amazing.
Jesus says in another place that there is more rejoicing in heaven over one repentant sinner than over 99 righteous people who have no need of repentance.  Rejoicing in heaven over the repentant.  Have you ever thought about repentance in that way?  When we repent, when we seek forgiveness, there is rejoicing in heaven. 
So, I’m going to make a request: don’t forget to cause some rejoicing in heaven during this season of Lent.  What do I mean?  Go to confession.  Go to confession because you need God’s mercy.  Go to confession because you need to learn how to be more merciful.  Go to confession and cause great rejoicing in heaven. Let this parable become a part of your life.  Let the message of mercy become your story.  God is excited about mercy.  We should share that excitement by going to confession and receiving God’s mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Called to be Holy

Message in a Minute for Jan 19: I once heard a quote from Michelangelo about his famous statue,  David .  Someone asked him how he made s...