Sunday, December 3, 2017

Advent 2017

1st Sunday of Advent Year B 2017:
Its hard to believe, but here we are in Advent.  Im sure Im not alone in saying that this time of year is one of my favorites.  Now, Im not a big fan of winter and cold weather.  But I spent all day yesterday morning listening to Christmas music while I was working.  I just love Advent and getting ready for Christmas.
Every year we get a reminder from Jesus about the need to be attentive, be watchful, be attentive.  Advent is a yearly reminder of our need to be aware and ready to meet Christ.  A relationship with Christ does not happen automatically.  Jesus doesnt over power us.  We have to watch for his presence in our lives.  He comes in subtle and not so subtle ways.  But, its important to be on the lookout for those little details.
As you probably know, I was in Rome last week.  I was there for a canon law conference and it was a great trip.  The conference was very informative and it concluded with a meeting with Pope Francis.  I even got to shake hands with him.  Pretty great. 
One neat thing about being in Rome is that you never know what you might find around a corner.  Rome is one of the oldest cities in the world.  So, very often you could be walking along and find the ruins of some ancient Roman building or aqueduct.  It really makes you keen on being watchful and attentive.  In fact, Fr. Mark and I were walking past a relatively small church that caught my eye.  So, I said: what church is that?  He told me it was call San Salvatore in Lauro.  Then he said, its pretty neat, there is the arm of St. Jude in there.  I was like, what?!  The arm of St. Jude?  Why didnt you tell me that sooner, lets go.  So I got to see the arm of St. Jude.  Pretty great.  All because I was being attentive.
So, in Rome, I was always looking at everything I could see.  I was just fascinated by being in a different country.  But, one thing that was the same?  Black Friday.  Now, Italians dont celebrate thanksgiving on Thursday, but some of the stores were still having black Friday sales.  Crazy isnt it?
But, thinking about this Gospel and the season of Advent as a time to be aware and attentive, it got me thinking about Black Friday a little bit.  I dont know about you, but I got about 7 thousand black Friday emails.  I think if there was ever a website that I visited in my whole life, they sent me an email about black Friday specials.  And you know what?  I think I read every one of them.  Theres just something in me thats always looking for a good deal.  Im always alert and attentive to black Friday deals.  Now, being in Rome, I didnt really do the whole black Friday thing, but its like an American ritual.  We are alert and attentive to the deals.  We get up early and fight the crowds.  We spend all day in the effort. 
Now, if we are going to do all that just for a good deal on a TV or some toys.  What about our spiritual life?  The end of black Friday shopping may be to get some good deals.  But, the end of our spiritual life is to live forever in heaven. 
So, where to start?  First, being attentive.  So pay attention to God.  Pay attention to Mass.  Try to do some extra reading and research.  We do that for deals on Black Friday, we should do that for God as well.  At the doors of church there are some cards for the best Advent ever.  Why not sign up and get some emails that will help you to be attentive to God during Advent?
Second, on Black Friday we get up early and work hard at deals.  How about working hard first thing in the morning on prayer?  Now, I wont ask what time you got up to go shopping, but I would ask you simply to get up 10 minutes early and spend that time in prayer.  I think if everyone did that for the season of Advent it would be an amazing spiritual experience.  In fact, if you try it during Advent, Im betting you will want to do that every day for the rest of your life.  Just 10 minutes.  Say the rosary.  Read the bible.  Get up for Jesus and Jesus will be there for you.

Being alert, being attentive, means that we bring the pursuit of Jesus into our daily lives.  Dont let your desire for Jesus remain something that is simply on the outside of our lives, like a dream or a wish.  Make it real and concrete by keeping your focus on him in your daily lives.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Called to be Holy

Message in a Minute for Jan 19: I once heard a quote from Michelangelo about his famous statue,  David .  Someone asked him how he made s...