Sunday, September 3, 2017

Let our minds be transformed by Christ

What a remarkable turn of events!  In two weeks we get to hear two conversations between Jesus and St. Peter.  In both of these conversations, Jesus bestows a name upon Peter.  Last week, Jesus said: Blessed are you Simon Son of John.  You are Peter and upon this rock I will build my church.  This week: Get behind me Satan.  Kind of hard to believe isn’t it.  Last week he is the rock of the Church, this week he is Satan, an obstacle to Christ and his mission to save us by his death and resurrection.
What does St. Peter do wrong here?  Jesus predicts his passion on the cross, and Peter basically says: God forbid something bad should happen to you Jesus.  I don’t think that’s the worst statement ever is it?  If a friend came up to me and said: I’m going to be murdered in a horrible way, I might be tempted to say: God forbid that should happen to you.  So, the statement itself isn’t horrible.  Rather, Jesus chides Peter because of the state of his mind: you are thinking not as God does, but as human beings do.  This is the real crux of the matter.  Last week we hear that Peter believes with all his heart that Jesus is the Christ, the son of the living God.  But, he hasn’t changed his mind yet, he is still thinking as human beings do.  Sometimes when we think about our faith in Christ we talk about it in terms of the heart: we want to have our hearts set on Christ.  But, we need our minds to be set on Christ too.
St. Paul is saying something similar to the Romans in our second reading.  He states: be transformed by the renewal of your minds, then you can discern the will of God.  Isn’t this basically what Jesus says to Peter?  And if St. Peter needed constant renewal and transformation of his mind, then of course we will need it too.
But, this is no easy task.  How many times a day do we fail to think like Christ?  How many times a day do we think like human beings and not like God?  Our thoughts can be filled with hatred, jealousy, impurity, un-forgiveness.  How many of us can say that we find these thoughts helpful?  I know I don’t. 
Yet, so often, and I know this is true for me, our thoughts can be focused on the human, focused on negatives and yet we aren’t even aware.  Think about Peter.  He’s just saying: hey Jesus, don’t die, we like you.  And yet, Jesus does him a great service by pointing out the error of his way of thinking.  Immediately after pointing out his error, Jesus goes on to teach Peter the right way to think: whoever wishes to follow me must deny himself and pick up his cross.  We all know that St Peter does that at the end of his life.  So, that transformation took place in him because of the patient guidance of Christ.
The same will be true for us if we open our hearts and our minds to Christ.  I think a great prayer you could say every day would be something like this: Dear Lord, when I start thinking as humans do and not as you do, please call me out just like you did to St. Peter.  Please teach me and guide me.  Perform the transformation of my mind so that I will indeed know your will in my life and have the courage to follow it.

I’m sure none of us wants Jesus to say: get behind me Satan…  But, it was through the guidance of Christ that Peter became St. Peter.  The same can happen for us by God’s grace if we are open to the guidance the Christ.  I think we often pray that God would help transform our hard hearts, but today we also help us to be transformed by the renewal of our minds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Called to be Holy

Message in a Minute for Jan 19: I once heard a quote from Michelangelo about his famous statue,  David .  Someone asked him how he made s...