Saturday, January 17, 2015

Peter and Andrew

Today we hear an interesting story about Andrew and his brother Peter.  Andrew was a follower of John the Baptist, who pointed to Jesus: behold the Lamb of God.  He follows Jesus, stays with him.  He knows he has found the Lord, the Messiah.  His reaction?  I better tell Peter.  I need to let my brother know.  This is too good to be true.  I can’t keep this to myself.
Sometimes in our lives we are like St. Peter.  None of us finds Christ on our own.  Someone helps us.  Whether it be our parents, a friend, going to Catholic school, a teacher, an RCIA leader, I’m willing to bet that someone helped each one of us find Jesus.  Now, if you are like St. Paul and Jesus appeared to you in a vision, please stay after Mass because I would love to talk to you…  But, for the rest of us, someone led us. Think for just a second: who led you to Christ?  Where would you be without that person!
I am eternally grateful for the gift of faith.  I owe my parents for introducing me to the faith.  I also owe a great deal to Fr. Glen Kohrman and the RCIA at St. Patrick’s where I was a sponsor, because that experience helped me to awaken my faith.  One of the important things that drew me to the priesthood was the same inclination that filled St. Andrew.  “This is too good to be true.  This Jesus is amazing.  His gift to us is eternal life, the forgiveness of our sins, the precious gift of the Eucharist.”  I became a priest because I felt drawn to sharing with others the great gift I received, most especially the gift of the forgiveness of sins in the sacrament of confession.  After having received so much, I felt called to give back.
Isn’t that what stewardship is all about?  Haven’t we all received more than we can possibly imagine?  If we stop to remember that all of this comes from God, that it is all too good to be true, we will be inspired to want to give back.  Indeed we are committed to Christ and living in gratitude.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Called to be Holy

Message in a Minute for Jan 19: I once heard a quote from Michelangelo about his famous statue,  David .  Someone asked him how he made s...